For a long time I have wanted to create a space to put up poems that are significant to me, many of which have been written by unknown writers or which lie outside the canonized bodies of work of more famous writers. Many of the poems I am drawn to are wildly discursive, and that usually means long, but I have also been meaning to prod myself to develop a larger mental data base of poems, and shorter poems seem more ammenable to memorization by heart.

So this will be a sort of mish-mash: memory poems, forgotten poems, never even remembered poems, unanthologized poems

Sunday, March 6, 2005

No poem now, but I will post that I heard somebody quoting Mark Twain on the radio: "Patriotism is being proud of your country all the time, but proud of your government only when it's right." Or something like that. No, no--now I remember. It was from a documentary made from interviews of former CIA people and weapons inspectors, who stated that the administration, including honorable people like Colin Powell, knew it was lying on WMD. It made me feel badly about not having done enough...well, I didn't actually do anything...to stop the war machine. All I've done is write poems. Someone left a really thoughtul comment about this.

No comments: